Sunday, October 3, 2010

"U.S. warns Americans of potential terror attacks in Europe"

Today, there was a State Department travel alert warning Americans living or traveling in Europe of potential terrorist threats. Americans are urged to "take every precaution to be aware of their surroundings and to adopt appropriate safety measures to protect themselves when traveling." It is said that "the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure," is high. While the warning seems pretty scary, it is not a formal travel warning, meaning it does not restrict travel. The warning is due to current information saying that al-Qaida continues to plan terrorist attacks. U.S. and Europeans security experts have been worried for days that attacks in public places with assault weapons were/are being planned. Also, Osama bin Laden may be behind the terror plots according to U.S. intelligence officials. However, as of right now, many Europeans and members of the Obama administration view the travel alert as an overreaction. 


I'm not sure if I think the alert is an overreaction or not. I mean, if I was traveling to Europe, I think I would want to know if top officials were concerned of there being terrorist attacks. Then again, if there really wasn't an extreme high risk, when I was in Europe I wouldn't want to be limiting myself to not getting the full experience because I was too worried of there being a terrorist attack. However, I do think it's pretty pathetic that we have to worry about such things as terrorist attacks. I have absolutely no comprehension on why people would want to kill others and why people do the crazy and horrible stuff they do. I'm also not too sure about the fact that Osama bin Laden might be behind the planned attacks... we have been chasing him for so long now, and to not find him, and for him to still be alive after so many years. I don't know... I really don't know what to think of that. In my lifetime I would love to see a world where if you want to go travel the world, you can, and you can with no worries of absolutely anything. You won't have to worry about your things getting stolen, or people not being kind, or of terrorist attacks... you can just enjoy what the world has to offer. I know that's probably a fantasy, but just think about it. Wouldn't that be great?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39484389/ns/us_news-security/

No comments:

Post a Comment