Friday, September 10, 2010

California- deadly gas blast fire


Thursday evening, a fire errupted in San Bruno, California. It is said that the fire was caused by an explosion of a gas line, but it is still under investigation. The explosion could be heard from miles away, and the initial blast sent a fireball about 1,000 miles into the air. The fire covered 15 acres. More than 50 houses have been destroyed, and more than 120 homes have serious damage. 52 people have been taken to the hospital, 3 are in critical condition with burns. It is not clear on how many have died as a result of the fire. Pacific Gas and Electric Co, which serve in that area, say if the cause of the fire is determined to be the gas line, they will "take accountability."


This is an extremely devestating event. I can not imagine driving home to find my house and all of my neighbor's houses engulfed in flames. All of those poor people who have now lost everything- their cars, pictures, food, decorations... their memories. It's all gone for them. I picture all of the people going through all different stages of shock and grief. I'm very glad to hear however that the gas companies who may be the cause of this fire are willing to help out and take responsibility for this incident. With the recent oil spill and all of the blame shifting going on there, it is a blessing to hear that the ones who are to blame will accept it, especially knowing that they can't change the past, they can't change what has already happened. I have never experienced losing my home or any building due to a fire. Nor do I know anyone personally who has gone through that experience, aside from my mom, but she did not lose her whole house or anything extremely valuable to her. So, I can only guess what these people are going through... and it's not good. I guess one "good" thing about this situation is that the people are not going through this alone, it wasn't just one house destroyed, it was more than 50. This way, the families have support from others who are dealing with the same emotions. My thougths and prayers go out to all of the people who have lost their homes, their memories, and especially those who have lost loved ones.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39089768/ns/us_news/

No comments:

Post a Comment